7 Top Secret Reasons People Exercise
In an earlier post, a reader asked why people should exercise besides having the goal to lose weight. Courtesy of the Mayo Clinic and our weighty experience, we gave the top 7 scientific, “just the facts, ma’am” reasons people exercise. That got a few people asking us, “Come on now, what really motivates people, especially if they don’t check research to know why to work out?!” So we prepared our list of “Top 7 Reasons People Really Exercise.” Do any of these reasons get you going like an Energizer Bunny?
Why People Really Exercise:
(based totally on random pseudo-science pulled out of our butts brains)
1. To look hot, awesome, available, Dead Sexy, tolerable (before 2:00 a.m. closing time), fine and bootylicious. If you don’t believe me, we did a search for “reasons to exercise” and got a link to an article that had an ad “Meet Fit Singles” right there! In bold! No, we are not sharing that link!What really motivates people to work out? Click To Tweet 2. To meet and hang out with people who are not necessarily their partners, children, co-workers or peripheral relatives. Yes, I know we all love our families (Alexandra thinks her kids read her stuff so she had to say that; Kymberly knows her daughter can’t be bothered), but it sure can be nice to have like-minded adult friends, eh?
Sign up to start "youthifying" today.
4. To be stronger and physiologically younger. Personally, Alexandra would rather have a fit 60-year-old body than an unfit 28-year-old one. Either way, she’d send him home in the morning!
More Reasons People Exercise
5. To be able to do stuff. Being limited physically is no fun. I mean, what’s the point of living if you can’t touch your toes? Or someone else’s?
6. To feel better about yourself. Oh, and fit into all that expensive stuff in the closet. (Psst, did you know men exercise to lose weight because they actually are overweight (health reason), while women exercise to lose weight due to body dissatisfaction (appearance reason) Ingledew and Sullivan (2002).
7. Bragging rights. Just between us, isn’t it sort of satisfying to share your exercise stories? By the way, have we told you about our 5-mile trek in the snow yet?
Whatever YOUR reason for exercise, guess what (Fun Fit Fact ahead): people who exercise for health reasons will stick with it a lot longer than those who do so for appearance. Use this motto all year (you’re welcome): Come for the looks; stay for the health.
Readers: Why do you exercise? No, really. We promise to keep it between us. All of us.
ACTION: Be the person who brags to your friends about finding more secret reasons to be a more fit “you.” Subscribe to transform yourself and age actively. Enter your email into any of the subscription boxes.
Photo credits: Photobucket
Kymberly Williams-Evans, MA and Alexandra Williams, MA