Wrong & Right Way: StairClimber and Treadmill

Kymberly Williams-Evans, MA and Alexandra Williams, MA

Alexandra gets Lost in Translation

Do you hop on the stairclimber or treadmill to get a wrist, neck, or spine workout in? Do  you have a goal to put all the load into your joints as you lean either too far forward or too far back? Didn’t think so!

Pin It

Yet that is what we see from a lot of stairstepper and treadmilling exercisers. Ouch and WTH?! (“What the Heck” – we don’t cuss ‘round these parts much).

At any given moment we can go into the cardio equipment area of a gym and see people working super hard. Yet their form denies them cardio benefits while stressing joints. Don’t let this be you!

Three major no-nos we see involve:

1. heavy wrist bend
  2. elbow lock that leads to neck tension
  3. and posture that is either hunched forward or inclined back.

Take a look at our priceless video demo.

Then check your form next time you hit the climber or treadmill. Go for natural arm swing, not death grip on the machine. If you can let go of the side or front bars and stay vertical you are probably doing it right! If your hair looks good when you are done, you are probably doing it light! Ahh ahha. For the record, we shot this footage before Kymberly’s new haircut. You’ll have to return to see the new do. Did  “the do” do or didn’t it?

Dear Climber-Stepper buddies: Are you a wrist leaner? Horse reins grabber? Do you even know what Alexandra is talking about relative to “Lost in Translation?”

About Fun and Fit

Get practical exercise advice, your fitness questions answered, and cutting edge health edu-tainment that is accessible and doable from long time fitness experts, Kymberly Williams-Evans, MA and Alexandra Williams, MA. We have taught on land, sea, and airwaves for 3 decades on 4 continents. From writing to speaking, emceeing to hosting a radio show, reviewing products to teaching classes, we believe that little steps turn into big paths. Move a little more than the day before. FitFluential Ambassadors and award-winners both online and off.

, , , , , , , , , , , ,

11 Responses to Wrong & Right Way: StairClimber and Treadmill

1. Amy Good (splintergirl) February 20, 2012 at 12:13 pm #

Glad I don’t committ any of those offenses. I have gotten “lost” one time running on the treadmill and stepped too far front, stumbled almost off the back of the treadmill (worst fear) and then continued to run as if nothing happened….about 3 minutes later, my daughter comes into the room to ask politely if I tripped. I’m sure she was thinking that a hippo just fell from the sky, but was nice enough to ask the other way.

• KymberlyFunFit February 20, 2012 at 12:16 pm #

I completely tripped a few months ago but couldn’t cover at all. For one, I brought down my full water bottle with me, which spewed a nice fountain all over the treadmill and neighbors. Yes, no way not to get full notice. Your daughter sounds like a diplomat in training.
      KymberlyFunFit recently posted..Chin Check: Get Better Posture-Part 7My Profile

2. Miz February 21, 2012 at 1:52 am #

you need to go GYM by GYM and share this :)
    take your show on the road?
    Miz recently posted..Fragmented Fila video-shoot thoughts.My Profile

• KymberlyFunFit February 21, 2012 at 6:24 pm #

Dear Miz Of All Fits! What a great idea! As long as we don’t turn into FPOP (Fitness Police on Patrol). We are ready to take our show on the well-appointed, hotel laden, comfortable road. Ha ha
      KymberlyFunFit recently posted..3 Tips for Preventing Shin SplintsMy Profile

3. Julie February 21, 2012 at 4:50 am #

Such a useful information!I’ve just realized that I usually made some mistakes while exercising. Thanks for the helpful tips, from now on I’ll take care more about these things.
    Julie recently posted..dental implantsMy Profile

4. misszippy February 21, 2012 at 1:29 pm #

Ouch! on that form. I hope your advice is sparing lots of people lots of aches and pains!
    misszippy recently posted..Running but not racingMy Profile

• AlexandraFunFit February 21, 2012 at 1:43 pm #

We hope the same. We know people want to get it right, and make the most out of their workouts, but it’s hard to know or feel what’s correct and what isn’t.
      AlexandraFunFit recently posted..3 Tips for Preventing Shin SplintsMy Profile

5. Madeline @ Food, Fitness, and Family February 21, 2012 at 3:19 pm #

Thanks for sharing! I LOVE the stair climber but I honestly didn’t know there was a right and wrong way to climb it. Glad I apparently was doing it right :)
    Madeline @ Food, Fitness, and Family recently posted..Getting Back On TrackMy Profile

6. Charlotte February 21, 2012 at 4:30 pm #

you gals are just too cute! haha
    I love the line “if your hair looks good when you’re done, you’re probably doing it light” so true!

One time I sneezed on the treadmill during a particularly speedy, speed work session – and well needless to say I was missing the skin on my knees for a few weeks. no bueno!
    Charlotte recently posted..Week 4 Best Training Week EVERMy Profile

7. Karla February 23, 2012 at 5:01 pm #

Thanks for sharing this kind of tips..But this kind of exercise make you feel hurt..
    Karla recently posted..vision without glasses bookMy Profile