Alexandra Williams, MA and Kymberly Williams-Evans, MA
Retreat to A Week at Sky Ranch Fitness
Is a fitness spa or resort vacation in your future?
Alexandra: My physical, emotional and mental fitness is important to me. Ever since January, when I wrote about trying to lose the ten pounds that found me, I’ve been working hard at moving differently (“more” isn’t my issue; adding interval training is) and eating smaller portions. And after comparing how many hours I worked in 2013 with how many hours I spent doing things I enjoy with friends, family, and myself, I also promised myself that I’d spend more time AWAY from the computer in 2014.
Sometimes serendipity comes along, which is how I find myself heading to a local Santa Barbara week-long fitness vacation camp with Sky Ranch Fitness.
The Serendipitous Steps to a Week at Sky Ranch Fitness
- Start a new radio show in 2014
- Interview movement expert Dr. Michael Luan on our radio show
- Perk up ears when Dr. Michael talks about his upcoming presentations at Sky Ranch Fitness/ Bacara Resort
- Perk up mood when Dr. Michael introduces us to the owner of Sky Ranch Fitness
- Pack up when we are invited to participate in a week of Sky Ranch fitness fun As part of being participants in this luxury fitness event (yes, those two words DO go together), we have promised to help get the word out about Sky Ranch.
As everything the camp offers aligns with our mission and values, we are totally jiggy with that!!! Let’s lay it out for you, and you can decide whether you’d find this appealing or not. The event includes:
- Six nights at Bacara Resort, which sits on the beach in Santa Barbara
- Complete fitness assessments
- Nutrition education, including a cooking class in a local setting
- Sunset dinner cruise along the California coast
- Wine tasting in the Santa Ynez Valley (made famous in the movie “Sideways”)
- Hikes, fitness classes and personal training
- Lectures on wellness and health
- Take-home individualized fitness and nutrition plans
- Post-event accountability check-ins
Kymberly: When interviewing Dr. Michael for our radio episode, Reframe Your Brain to Heal Chronic Pain, he had a comment that I latched onto as an insta-quote to share with you all:
“The healing whispers we hear in our mind are drowned out by the chatter in our heads and dramas of the day.”
Is that true for you? When it comes to dealing with deadline stresses, the ache of my knee arthritis, bills, my newly developed plantar fascitis, and a never-shortening “to-do” list, I don’t pay attention to the calming whispers. Worries, pains, anxieties, and the feeling of fleeting time create a cacophony that’s hard to turn off.
Even this amazing, fortuitous offer to attend the new Sky Ranch Fitness spa week started the chatter. “Will we alienate our readers by writing about attending such a high end resort or will mainstream midlifers see this as a retreat worth saving up for?” “Can I get all my work done in two days to be able to immerse myself in the experience for the week?” “Can I take advantage of the hikes the spa week offers given my teaching schedule or should I sub out another class?” “Will my foot and knee restrict me?”
And on and on and on. Chit chat fret fret worry drama. Doesn’t this sound like I need a week off? A week that offers the time and space to allow the nurturing whispers to infiltrate? As a baby boomer, I like to think I have the age and experience to make good decisions. Finding out more about a new, local business that combines two things I hold dear — wellness and Santa Barbara County — seems like an opportunity that comes once in a lifetime.
My goal while at the Sky Fitness Ranch at the Bacara Resort, which I am stating aloud AND whispering in my head is to achieve the healing strategies Dr. Michael summarized in our radio show:
- Smile as often as possible to reset my brain
- Re-evaluate my walking technique and style
- Find, form, and pursue my passions
My second goal is to share that experience with you in a future post, so you can achieve the same. Maybe vicariously; maybe in person one day in Santa Barbara.
Photo credits: Stuart Gildred of Sky Ranch Fitness
Disclosure: We were not paid to talk about Sky Ranch, though we did receive the week-long adventure at a seriously discounted rate. Seriously!