Tips to Look Super Cool and Totally Hot on Camera
Want to look great for those home videos, YouTube clips, or onscreen moments? Today you get to enjoy a celebrity guest post from Tanya Memme, the original host for A&E’s Sell This House and now, Sell This House Extreme. She’s a star who shares tips to help make YOU a star!
Look Fit and Vibrant on Camera
Working in a construction zone on TV isn’t the easiest environment to look super cool and totally hot in. My heart says “stilettos!;” my producers say “work boots, Tanya! Fortunately for me and you there are ways to look your fabulous best on camera. During the 12 years hosting “Sell This House” and “Sell This House Extreme” on A&E, I’ve had plenty of time to succeed and fail famously! I know what works and what’s embarrassing in front of a camera! I hope you can gain some fun and good advice from my experience.
Of course the first and most obvious tip is to exercise and eat healthfully, but it goes so much further than that. (Well, that is unless you have the body of a Cirque Du Soleil contortionist who looks SUPER HOT turned upside down and backwards with a toe in the left nostril balancing on one hand all while wearing an anteater costume.)
With that being said, here are my tips!
1) Be truthful to yourself about the good, the bad, and the ugly. Don’t wear tight jeans if you have muffin top. After giving birth, I know what this feels like. My choice is to wear the very cool LuLuLemon elastic waistband, very hip cargo pants. Or lose the muffin top by kicking up the exercise into high gear!
2) Clip in hair extensions. This is my best kept, not so secret anymore. I have nice hair, but on days when my hair looks flat–especially on rainy days–I give my hair a little beauty boost! Extensions come in different lengths and can be matched exactly to any hair texture.
3) Floss and whiten your teeth. Crest Whitening strips are the cheapest and most effective way to get a bright smile. You can’t get away with anything less than clean, healthy, white teeth on TV especially with close up scenes.
4) Apply your make-up correctly. Make-up changes the way you look in general so learn how to apply it. Go to a store with a cosmetics area and get a personal lesson. The biggest mistake you can make is choosing the wrong colors. Your foundation, for example, can make the difference between looking tired, or sexy and totally hot!
5) Lighting is key. You can look and feel like crap (possibly from a hangover from the night before) and great lighting will make you look spectacular! It can take 10 years and 10 pounds off! On my show, I’d say I’m lazier on some days than others when it comes to make-up but with great lighting I can go from Dracula to Diva in the flick of a switch!
6) Even in you’re in a miserable mood, you have to look incredibly happy. Sounds easy, right? In 12 years on the show I’ve been on a roller coaster ride of deaths, disappointments, and a lot of behind-the-scenes drama. Then there were the times I had to run to the toilet from either food poisoning, pregnancy, or post-party debauchery! But no matter what, or how hard it might be, when that red recording light goes on…….SO DO I.
7) Always have great posture or EVERYTHING sags! On TV, everything you do and wear is magnified, so if you’re sagging even just a bit, on screen it looks like you’re sagging a lot! And NEVER sit all the way back on a soft comfy couch when that camera is on…….unless you want to look like a toad. Sit right at the end of any chair or couch, boobs out, back straight, shoulders back, head up and legs crossed at the ankle! Do this and you’ll look like a queen on TV!
9) Clothing and color are critical. The camera hates white and fine or busy patterns. I always wear bold solid colors such as red, blue or purple to my auditions because they’re flattering, aren’t distracting and they pop on camera. Royal colors are perfect! If you want to be a Queen on camera dress to look like one. A queen never wears dull, boring, or drab colors.
10) Never shoot you from an angle lower than your shoulders. This is the difference between looking 15 pounds overweight or 15 pounds slimmer. Always have the camera shoot you from a high angle! The same holds true for the digital camera you use every day. YOU’LL LOVE ME FOR TELLING YOU THIS!
P.S. If you’re lucky enough to have a crew to work with, bring snacks and drinks to the set. This thoughtful gesture puts everyone in a good mood! A happy crew does their best to make you look HOT! Remember – the crew has the power to be naughty or nice, so be good to them and they’ll be good to you. By the time I find out how crappy I looked that day, the show has already aired with millions of people watching. And you know how some people love to let loose on the internet with their opinions about your looks!
Tanya has been entertaining audiences with her quick wit, connection with homeowners and vast knowledge of lifestyle tips for years. She currently resides in the Los Angeles area with her husband, and daughter Ava.
Photo credits: Used by permission from Tanya Memme
Find out whether we took Tanya’s advice by subscribing to our YouTube channel and our blog. Follow us on Twitter: KymberlyFunFit and AlexandraFunFit. Please also follow us on Instagram: KymberlyFunFit and AlexandraFunFit. Or click on the icons in the right sidebar. Lights, Camera, Action!