Proper Form for Uphill Walking

Kymberly Williams-Evans, MA and Alexandra Williams, MA

Since we go for walks on a regular basis up in the hills above Santa Barbara, we thought we’d share with you some tips about the wrong, and right, ways to walk. Did you know there even was a proper walking technique? Watch and learn, grasshopper; watch and learn:

Once you’ve practiced
* swinging your arms in opposition
* bending at the ankle
* keeping upright at the waist and hips with good posture

you’ll be so good you can even Walk This Way:

Happy Walking!

Walking in S.B.

Yay, I ditched my sister on our walk!

, , , , , ,

19 Responses to Proper Form for Uphill Walking

1. Jan/HealthyLoserGal August 1, 2011 at 1:44 pm #

I want to go walking sometime with you, too! ; ) I’ll bring my own water, hat and sunblock, I promise! :)
    Jan/HealthyLoserGal recently posted..Awesome August Challenge! Let’s Go For It!My Profile

2. Kathleen August 1, 2011 at 1:52 pm #

Staying vertical is always good. Steven Tyler…not your best role model on that count. Great video. I need your scenic roads, with or without vehicles.
    Kathleen recently posted..Your ten-minute workoutMy Profile

3. Kathy Hunt August 1, 2011 at 1:58 pm #

Thank you for the right and wrong way to walk uphill! Since I too live on a hill, I have wondered about this. When I am tired, I tend to do the wrong, leaning, unattractive, motion uphill. Now I know to straighten up, thanks!
    Kathy

4. Ciara August 1, 2011 at 11:53 pm #

Lots of many who take walking as their exercise everyday don’t know what is the proper way in walking. Thank you for showing us the proper walking technique.
    Ciara recently posted..Pregnancy PlannerMy Profile

• Alexandra August 2, 2011 at 9:29 pm #

Thank you Ciara. And I love the name of your site: howtoprepareforpregnancy. Wouldn’t that just be, “Say ‘Yes’?”

5. Liz August 2, 2011 at 9:07 pm #

You two rock! Thanks!

• Alexandra August 2, 2011 at 9:28 pm #

I’m rock. Kymberly is paper. You can be scissors. Oh, wow, look at that. I win!

6. KymberlyFunFit August 3, 2011 at 9:57 pm #

Excuse me, but paper wraps around rock (no doubt in a loving embrace, not in a choking manner) which means IIIIIIII win! But then Liz would cut me like a scritch and she would win, until Alexandra smashes her scissors with her weighty rock like muscles. Whoa! Getting dizzy. Bottom line here is I win! Deal.
    KymberlyFunFit recently posted..Exercise Doubles Your HappinessMy Profile

7. John Poole August 5, 2011 at 2:14 pm #

Love your walking uphill video! By the way, I couldn’t help but notice Alexandra was wearing a Timber Framers Guild (i.e., wood geeks) cap. Where on earth did she get it? Even Steven Tyler doesn’t own one of those! :-)
    John Poole recently posted..Amy Bess Miller’s Copy of Early Connecticut HousesMy Profile

• Alexandra August 5, 2011 at 2:21 pm #

Obviously Steven Tyler needs friends in high places. Way up high – in the rafters. Close to the attic windows where one can watch the squirrels outside. And thanks for the video compliment; we love walking. You will probably never see us do a video on running, though.

8. Loida Miss December 11, 2011 at 4:25 pm #

Thanks for the tips on what is the proper form for uphill walking, I use to walk uphill with my friends and we can’t go farther because we easily get tired and rest for a while. Now I know what’s the proper ways of walking uphill. Thanks!
    Loida Miss recently posted..Repo CarsMy Profile

9. Željko April 4, 2012 at 2:39 pm #

hello fun and fit!
    Is proper way to walk something from your own experience or you have learned from literature or something like that?

10. Fun and Fit April 4, 2012 at 5:13 pm #

Hello Zeljko: Great question that gives us the chance to flaunt our credentials. Short answer: both. Long answer: The info we shared is based on 30 years’ experience in the industry (check out our “About” page if have a moment), attendance at more than 25 international fitness professional conventions, taking specialized classes on walking technique, and an interest in biomechanics. We also learned quite a bit from an amazing colleague whom we consider one of the best movement specialists around, Dr Michael Luan. If this subject interests you, listen to two radio interviews we did with Dr Michael on walking. 1) http://www.womensradio.com/2011/02/6-warnings-about-walking-walk-this-way-not-that-way/ and 2) http://www.womensradio.com/2011/06/whats-the-best-workout-shoe/ Thanks for the comment!
    Fun and Fit recently posted..Belly Up to the (Protein) BarMy Profile

11. Nik April 10, 2013 at 2:29 pm #

Thank you so much! I’ve learned something new. I just started working out yesterday. And also, you guys are very funny. So funny yet make sense.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Lunges: Right and Wrong Way | Fun and Fit: with Fitness Pros & Identical Twins, Alexandra and Kymberly - November 12, 2012

[...] Don’t lurk. Don’t lurch. Lunge! While you’re at it, according to the American Council on Exercise, an excellent weight loss combination is lunges and walking uphill. Say, did we ever show you our video about uphill walking? [...]