I Am Awesome: You Can’t Fake Awesome

Alexandra Williams, MA

I just walked (and ran a bit) the Nike Women’s Half Marathon in San Francisco. I will pause for a moment before letting you know how completely AWESOME and AMAZING that makes me!

Waiting for the start of the half marathon

Sure, lots of people have done full marathons, running no less, but none of them were me! I don’t run. I hate running. I loved soccer. For soccer, I ran. Then I had an injury that left my knee hanging on just by skin! I was 38 and the doctor said that was old. I gave the doc my best stink eye when he said that. This summer I had to get my big toe joint fused; again, related to an old soccer injury. And I’m 16 years older than the knee injury (did you just stop for the math?). My chronological age is set according to my birth date, but my physical age is whatever I do to take care of my body and mind.

The Sleepover Girls Danced to Cheer us On

Sometime in August, I was invited by Yurbuds (They make earphones that stay in your ears. They are designed specifically for women. They are amazing and come in fab colors) to participate in the race. I said yes, mostly as a way to set a surgery recovery goal for myself, thinking “If it works out, fine. If it doesn’t, that’s fine too.” But as the race got closer, I realized I actually wanted to challenge myself to train and finish the half marathon.

Inspire for Women

Stupid would have been aiming for running or a full marathon. Smart was aiming for something difficult, yet achievable and safe for my foot (and knee).

I Rule!

I can. I did. I will again.

It’s really hard to say why I trained and then walked a full 13.1 miles (I even beat the time I had set for myself), because I don’t truly know. It’s hard to know why I started crying at the finish line, because I’m not particularly sentimental. It’s even hard to understand why I might do it again even though it was outside of my comfort level. Maybe I just wanted to prove that injuries and surgeries and aging don’t mean I’m limited; they mean I choose new directions and challenges. Nike lost my race time, but I know what it was. It was ME time! Look at the smile on my face in these pictures – I’m having fun because I am a winner. It feels good to be a winner.

That Lion Didn't Stand a Chance, 'Cause I Roar Louder!

I truly am grateful to Yurbuds and FitFluential for the opportunity to join the 25,000 other winning women of all ages who ran and walked in the marathon. I would never have considered doing a half marathon prior to receiving their invitation. I wish you could see the cool t-shirt they gave me, but sadly, I put it into the bag I picked up for another runner and it’s now on its way back to me via the postal system. Our mail carrier’s truck caught on fire, so the mail got burned. But that’s another story. You can at least see the headband and bright lime green earphones Yurbuds gave me.

Granny Smith Apple Green

I listen to Adele singing “Set Fire to the Rain” on them because I set fire to the race course, even though it was misty and rainy!

Music to My Marathon Ears

After the race, I discovered that Yurbuds had an oxygen station. I sat on a stool and breathed in the scents of berries and citrus.

Happy Scents for the Senses

I wish for you the same kind of satisfaction and joy that comes from taking on a new challenge. It’s cool to be a winner. But of course, you already know that!

Crossed The Finish Line

Photo credits: me. I took them with my iPhone.

Yurbuds provided me with the entry invitation to the marathon, plus they gave me the green earphones shown above. All opinions and song preferences are my own!

About Fun and Fit

Get practical exercise advice, your fitness questions answered, and cutting edge health edu-tainment that is accessible and doable from long time fitness experts, Kymberly Williams-Evans, MA and Alexandra Williams, MA. We have taught on land, sea, and airwaves for 3 decades on 4 continents. From writing to speaking, emceeing to hosting a radio show, reviewing products to teaching classes, we believe that little steps turn into big paths. Move a little more than the day before. FitFluential Ambassadors and award-winners both online and off.

, , , , , , , , , , , ,

49 Responses to I Am Awesome: You Can’t Fake Awesome

1. Pavement Runner October 18, 2012 at 5:04 pm #

Love all the photos… looks like you had so much fun. Running through it would have meant you would have missed out on all the photo opps…. great job. and BTW, you are a ball of energy that is indeed AWESOME!
    Pavement Runner recently posted..Playlist Thursday: Speeding Ticket SongsMy Profile

• AlexandraFunFit October 18, 2012 at 5:13 pm #

You know, I really did have fun. The last few miles were a bit painful, but I knew that it was not bad pain, just mileage pain. Thanks for the kind words and for being such a truly kind person. P.S. Sheralyn (please say it’s spelled right) is sooooo beautiful. You have good taste.
      AlexandraFunFit recently posted..Hamstring Stretches: 3 Wrong & 3 Right WaysMy Profile

2. ModernSauce October 18, 2012 at 5:17 pm #

Congratulations! I’m so happy/proud/glittery for you! You always inspire. You can’t fake inspiration either.

PS. You seem to be plagued by a few unusually unfortunate circumstances – Nike LOST your time? Mail truck on FIRE?! Yeesh.
    ModernSauce recently posted..Damn dirty apes have to take a bath somewhere.My Profile

• AlexandraFunFit October 18, 2012 at 6:23 pm #

hahahah. So convenient, eh? My time was essentially 3 hours 10 minutes. I was aiming for 3 1/2 hours, so I beat my made up record! BTW, did I tell you about the big fire up here yesterday? I will be blaming things on that too!

3. Angela @ Happy Fit Mama October 18, 2012 at 5:23 pm #

You are some kind of awesome!!!! Congrats!
    Angela @ Happy Fit Mama recently posted..The Best of Fall: Crock Pot Apple Butter and Healthy Pumpkin DoughnutsMy Profile

4. Debbie@ Live from La Quinta October 18, 2012 at 5:59 pm #

I actually knew you were awesome before you finished a half marathon. Now you are awesomer :-).

Nice job! And I have teared up at many a finish line. It’s something to do with pride, accomplishment and sheer exhaustion.
    Debbie@ Live from La Quinta recently posted..Wednesday Workout: 22 Minute Runner’s WorkoutMy Profile

• AlexandraFunFit October 19, 2012 at 9:55 pm #

I think you’ve figured it out: pride, accomplishment and pain, in my case. I wasn’t exhausted, but my knee was done! I went for a 5 mile walk today with a friend, and it seemed so relaxing somehow!
      AlexandraFunFit recently posted..Diet Cheat Days: Yes or No?My Profile

5. Marcia October 18, 2012 at 6:46 pm #

OMG I loved reading this and I adored your race day Instagrams! kudos to you for making the most of a great opportunity. You rocked it! Having fun is what it’s all about! Yummy lime green!

• AlexandraFunFit October 19, 2012 at 9:56 pm #

Thank you Marcia. I know that you and so many others are pros at these kinds of events, but I really did feel like I accomplished something difficult. And I loved walking – gave me a chance to take the pictures!
      AlexandraFunFit recently posted..Cardio is Dead; Long Live CardioMy Profile

6. Christine @ Love, Life, Surf October 18, 2012 at 7:32 pm #

I loved seeing all your pictures (even if I did miss cheering you on in person). You look so happy and awesome. Truly. You can’t fake it. I totally relate to the surgery/healing thing and I’m kind of scared about running for real again but I need to do it and prove to myself that I can. Congrats on your first half marathon!!
    Christine @ Love, Life, Surf recently posted..Hotel Room WorkoutMy Profile

• AlexandraFunFit October 19, 2012 at 9:58 pm #

I was so disappointed that I couldn’t spot you in the crowd of onlookers by the Ferry. Next time, I guess! As to your recovery, go at a safe recovery pace as you work back into it. The few times I pushed past my pain during training, I paid for it.
      AlexandraFunFit recently posted..Challenge Yourself to a Healthier YouMy Profile

7. Lisa October 18, 2012 at 8:56 pm #

Thank you so much for sharing this! You are such an inspiration! I think I would most likely get emotional if I crossed that finish line. I WILL do this one day!

8. Rachel @RunningRachel October 18, 2012 at 9:27 pm #

You did great!! I am SO glad that I met you!! Way to rock your run and finish with a bang!! :)
    Rachel @RunningRachel recently posted..Nike Women’s Marathon Weekend Round Up Part 2 (Fun with New Friends)My Profile

9. Kristen October 19, 2012 at 6:09 am #

Congratulations! I already knew you were awesome though. :) I had a similar experience this year. Though I’ve always said I would never run distance, for some reason this year I had this explainable desire to run a half marathon. It took me longer than I had hoped due to the onset of knee pain at mile 8. I slowed down but never stopped running and for that I am awesome. I didn’t tear up at the finish line. I was too preoccupied searching for carbs.
    Kristen recently posted..Tomato Barley Soup; The Perfect Comfort FoodMy Profile

10. Yum Yucky October 19, 2012 at 7:22 am #

hooray!! your happy smile in the pics are a true testament to how proud and accomplished you must feel. weeee!!!
    Yum Yucky recently posted..He Called Me a Fake-Azz Vegetarian (The Recipe)My Profile

• AlexandraFunFit October 19, 2012 at 10:01 pm #

Wheeeeee is right. I think it would be fun to do one of these with you. Not only would we laugh the whole time, you’d have yummy snacks stashed away in your pockets and cap!
      AlexandraFunFit recently posted..Spark Your Brain with ExerciseMy Profile

11. Doug October 19, 2012 at 8:41 am #

I want to be awesome just like Alex
    Doug recently posted..Best Body Workout – 2012 – Week 38 – Day 3My Profile

12. Tamara October 19, 2012 at 1:46 pm #

Thanks so much for sharing this amazing experience Alexandra!
    I’m like you. No runner, much less a 1/2 marathoner. But I bet I could walk it, given cool music, great earbuds and a fantastic friend for inspiration!
    You are AWESOME!
    Tamara recently posted..#FatblasterFriday | ABSolutely Amazing All Abs WorkoutMy Profile

13. Tara Burner October 19, 2012 at 2:18 pm #

congrats!!!
    way to go!!!!
    Tara Burner recently posted..What To Do When You’re Not “Feeling” ItMy Profile

14. Jody - Fit at 54 October 19, 2012 at 3:06 pm #

YOU ARE AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And YES, age is just a number! Don’t tell us we are too old to do something!

I loved the pics – you are so cool!!!!
    Jody – Fit at 54 recently posted..Breast Cancer Awareness/Healing Thoughts Appreciated; Workout Clothes & CharityMy Profile

• AlexandraFunFit October 20, 2012 at 11:14 pm #

Thanks, Jody! Age is a number, but lately not one that matches my mental image of what I used to think was 50+. Things are different for our generation! And that’s good, because I enjoy exercise. Thank goodness the era of thinking it was harmful to women is over.
      AlexandraFunFit recently posted..Diet Cheat Days: Yes or No?My Profile

15. Elle October 19, 2012 at 5:50 pm #

U R AWESOME! And I am so happy for you.
    Elle recently posted..Friday Favorites… Fun 4 You 2My Profile

16. Jan October 19, 2012 at 6:35 pm #

I just read your blog. Congratulations big time. What a challenge. What a success. Hooray for you!

Love forever,
    Mom

17. Angie (Losing It and Loving It) October 19, 2012 at 8:13 pm #

You are absolutely amazing! I have walked a half marathon (in Jamaica at the Reggae Marathon) and it’s not easy. I cried at the end too. I was so thankful hubby was so supportive and walked the entire way with me although he could have probably kicked some marathon butt.

I love those Yurbuds, must get a pair sometime. Their oxygen station is something I could have used for sure.

So proud of you!
    Angie (Losing It and Loving It) recently posted..Top 5 Fitness Mistakes Most Beginners MakeMy Profile

• AlexandraFunFit October 20, 2012 at 11:18 pm #

Thank you Angie. Your locale sounds pretty enticing, although probably hotter than San Francisco. I truly went into it thinking it would be fairly easy – I mean, it’s just walking, right? But it was a long 13 miles, and you really do have to have a strong will those last few. Can you believe that the Yurbuds oxygen station had no line? My good luck! I sat there for about 15 minutes and didn’t feel guilty because NO-ONE was waiting.
      AlexandraFunFit recently posted..Spark Your Brain with ExerciseMy Profile

18. Maureen October 19, 2012 at 9:37 pm #

You Are Awesome!!! I’m proud of you.

19. John Poole October 20, 2012 at 8:50 pm #

You’re TOTALLY AWESOME! In fact, you just become more and more awesome all the time, while I just become more of an OUTLIER! Ha ha ha! :-D

Seriously: What you achieved here was fabulous, and will hopefully inspire others to follow your lead. Imagine doing this such a short time after your surgery. But you put the time and effort into building yourself back up to where you had been, and finished this event. I very proud of you, you awesome and totally fit cutie pie, you! :-D

Smooches,
    John

20. John Poole October 20, 2012 at 11:02 pm #

P.S. Wasn’t “The Yurbuds” the name of Led Zeppelin before they changed it to “Led Zeppelin”?
    *smart ass smirk*

• AlexandraFunFit October 20, 2012 at 11:12 pm #

Smile on me Jimmy Page:

Smile on me baby,
      Make me feel like summer’s here.
      Smile on me baby,
      Make me feel good when you’re near.
      Prove it to me baby,
      That our love is in the clear.

Walk with me baby,
      Make me hold my head up high.
      Walk with me baby,
      Make me feel the greatest guy.
      I’m gonna love you baby,
      Love you till you cry.

According to the above lyrics, you have to walk the next half marathon with me. Lace up those shoes! And download the Yardbirds onto your iPod. And get the orange Yurbuds!

21. Calla Gold October 21, 2012 at 11:39 pm #

Awesome just isn’t quite an awesome enough word to full capture your awesomeness!

22. Joy Weese Moll (@joyweesemoll) September 23, 2013 at 1:43 pm #

That is awesome! And a great way to prove to yourself and all others that you are back from injury. Go you!
    Joy Weese Moll (@joyweesemoll) recently posted..Reinvention — A Generation Fabulous BloghopMy Profile

23. Connie McLeod September 23, 2013 at 1:51 pm #

Congrats on setting a goal and then doing it!
    Connie McLeod recently posted..When the Levees BrokeMy Profile

24. Chloe Jeffreys September 23, 2013 at 10:58 pm #

You are freaking awesome!! I’m totally impressed. That’s quite an accomplishment.
    Chloe Jeffreys recently posted..Take Me! I’m Yours!My Profile

25. Pat September 24, 2013 at 9:00 am #

Congratulations on setting a goal and sticking with it and also for inspiring others to get moving with your Fun and Fit blog. Bravo!

26. Karen D. Austin September 25, 2013 at 6:21 am #

Kudos to you. I kept seeing 26.2 and 13.1 stickers around Wichita, and it took me forever to figure that out. I thought it was a John 3:16 kinda thing (a lot of devout people in this town), but it’s a fitness thing! (a lot of fit people here, too, apparently). Congrats on your accomplishment!
    Karen D. Austin recently posted..The More Things Change. . .My Profile

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Weekly Reader: Two Weeks of Inspiration - October 30, 2012

[...] & Fit, I am Awesome. You Can’t Fake Awesome. In spite of a bad knee, or maybe, in a funny way, because of it, Alexandra walked the Nike [...]

2. Holiday Fitness Gift List | Fun and Fit: with Fitness Pros & Identical Twins, Alexandra and Kymberly - November 16, 2012

[...] it. We loved it. It didn’t love our knees and toes, as noted above and in the post we had about overcoming life’s challenges and being awesome! Zensah compression socks and sleeves to the rescue! If you’ve ever had [...]

3. How to Walk a Half Marathon After Knee Surgery | Fun and Fit: with Fitness Pros & Identical Twins, Alexandra and Kymberly - April 29, 2013

[...] watching soccer on TV, I walked a half marathon a few months after foot surgery, so I can say that you and I are both AWESOME!  At first, I wasn’t allowed to put weight on my surgery foot, so I worked out on the rowing [...]

4. Which Running Surfaces Are Joint Friendly? | Fun and Fit: Active Aging Advice for Baby Boomers - May 26, 2013

[...] As my dislike for running is well-documented, I can reveal that to me asphalt means, “My Ass is at Fault for you getting [...]