How Do We Leave Obesity Behind?
Kymberly Williams-Evans, MA and Alexandra Williams, MA
Kymberly: Long ago in a faraway galaxy–also called pre-2008 or so–we thought the “grown up” brain was hard-wired and immutable. The exciting news coming from the brain research universe shows how much we have learned since then. In fact, our brains continue to change, rewire, and develop throughout our entire lives. Color me super excited by neuroscience!
Changing Obesity and Habits
Also changing are the rates of obesity. When Alexandra and I scampered through the recent IDEA World Fitness and Nutrition Convention, I made sure to attend the “Healthy Aging Survival Kit” session offered by Dr. Terry Eckmann. Her basic premise: “Our Reality is based on our Perception.” While this belief is centuries old, the scientific data to back it up is new. Such discoveries are especially relevant for those wanting to make life and habit changes.
Thoughts Lead to Weight Loss
A lot of what Eckmann revealed in her presentation dovetails with a teleseminar series Alexandra and I were invited to contribute to: Leave Obesity Behind. For those wanting to lose weight, the key is to recognize that change starts with our thoughts.
According to studies Eckmann referenced, we now know the following:
- You have about 50-70,000 thoughts per day.
- You choose the filters through which you assess those thoughts and view your world.
- If you want to break a bad habit or add a good one, recognize that your brain takes an average of 66 days to rewire.
- The only relationship you are guaranteed to have throughout life is the one with yourself.
- Therefore, if you want to develop habits and behaviors that lead to weight loss, you need to start with your thoughts. The ultimate Insider Track!
Alexandra: What kind of thoughts would you have if you were able to access over 25 experts in the field of obesity and weight loss? And if it were via a telesummit that was at no cost and had no catch? Yeah, me too – happy thoughts!
Our colleague Robyn Bennett decided to offer a program that would delve into healthy solutions for weight loss that address the mind, body and spirit. Are you sick of yo-yo dieting or emotional eating? As health professionals, we know that it is difficult to lose a lot of weight if you approach it from a simplistic point of view – “Eat less, Move more” is a good mantra, yet not complete. There has to be a part that addresses the mind, as that is where your power lies.
Kymberly: Remember– your perception shapes your reality. If you want to change your reality you have to shift what you think and perceive. For instance, what message do you see in this phrase:
Alexandra: Opportunity is Here Now
For her “Leave Obesity Behind” event, Robyn has interviewed experts who are able to help you:
* Create healthy patterns for weight loss
* Improve your health at any size
* Find solutions for emotional eating and compulsive overeating
* Make exercise fun
* Quit negative self talk and start loving who you see in the mirror
* Teach healthy eating habits to your family
* Feel better about yourself inside and out
We aren’t selling the teleseminar because there’s nothing to buy. This summit goes through August 30, and this is the link to register for Leave Obesity Behind: Discover the Secrets to Eating Right into a Healthier, Sexier You. And of course, we believe you’ll enjoy the segments with us. We definitely offer some simple, achievable, non-painful tips!
Put on your thinking cap and take advantage of our YouTube channel that offers short videos to support your weight loss goals! Have you subscribed yet to our blog? Please follow us on google+Alexandra and +Kymberly, on Twitter: AlexandraFunFit and KymberlyFunFit and Instagram: KymberlyFunFit and AlexandraFunFit.