3 Tips for Preventing Shin Splints

Kymberly Williams-Evans, MA and Alexandra Williams, MA

See how painful that looks? Only your heart should look this red and throbbing!

Do you want to prevent shin splints? Apparently many of you do as “shin splints” is our site’s most popular search term. (Yeah, we peeked). Our previous post about preventing shin splints is one of our “top sellers” (except it’s free to read).

The 3 tips in the video below will help you prevent shin splints. You’ll see more in future posts on what to do before and  after  shin pain. For now, take a look at this short video:

YouTube Preview Image

Key for you to know is that the shin (anterior tibialis) and calf (gastrocnemius, plus five other calf muscles  work as a team. Most people shower too much attention on the calf, and neglect the shin. The calf gets big and bossy and tries to exert constant force on the little tib. This makes the shin very envious and it shows its displeasure by becoming stressed and painful. If you give the shin a bit more love (that is secret code for “more training”) it will be happy and joyous and take you all kinds of places pain-free.

Have you ever had shin splints? What did you do to recover?

Photo Courtesy of Mayo Clinic

Voting for the Shorty Awards ends on 2/17. Please vote for Alexandra in the #SocialFitness category if you haven’t already. Thank you.

Nominate Alexandra Williams for a social media award in the Shorty Awards!

Nominate Alexandra Williams

for a social media award in the Shorty Awards

About Fun and Fit

Get practical exercise advice, your fitness questions answered, and cutting edge health edu-tainment that is accessible and doable from long time fitness experts, Kymberly Williams-Evans, MA and Alexandra Williams, MA. We have taught on land, sea, and airwaves for 3 decades on 4 continents. From writing to speaking, emceeing to hosting a radio show, reviewing products to teaching classes, we believe that little steps turn into big paths. Move a little more than the day before. FitFluential Ambassadors and award-winners both online and off.

, , , , , , , , ,

17 Responses to 3 Tips for Preventing Shin Splints

1. Emily @FamilyNLifeLV February 16, 2012 at 10:16 am #

::EYES OPEN::

I have been dealing with major shin pain for MONTHS. MONTHS! My Dr. said it was shin tendonitis, and told me to lay off impact. I did for nearly a month and STILL went back to impact and found it to be VERY painful!

He never said to lay of calf work. I wonder if that has been hindering my recovery!

Thanks ladies – as always very helpful!
    Emily @FamilyNLifeLV recently posted..Why I Care About #Hunger | #SocialGoodMoms for World Food ProgrammeMy Profile

2. Scott @ Your Inner Skinny February 16, 2012 at 12:20 pm #

Shin splints suck. I get them occasionally from running (when/if I ever run, which I don’t do much of) but I’m fairly luck that I’ve got good strong muscles from volleyball but this video gives some great tips!
    Scott @ Your Inner Skinny recently posted..Feelin’ Fine; Back to the Gym Video BlogMy Profile

3. Shira February 16, 2012 at 2:16 pm #

I haven’t had shin splints in a while but if they reappear, I’m playing this video pronto. Thanks for the helpful, entertaining posts – just cast my vote for you in the shorty awards. :)
    Shira recently posted..Are all calories created equal?My Profile

4. Talia @ Bite Size Wellness February 16, 2012 at 2:21 pm #

This was super helpful for me as I tend to get the dreaded shin splints…although I never look as happy as the video lady when it happens to me. I any case…appreciate the tips!
    Talia @ Bite Size Wellness recently posted..All Cabbage is Not Created Equal: Enjoy Some SavoyMy Profile

5. Toni @Runninglovingliving February 16, 2012 at 5:38 pm #

I battle shin splints constantly, and am currently on a 6 week hiatus from running due to a stress fracture in the left shin. Thank you for the great tips, I didn’t realize working my calfs would make them worse I thought it would help…although I don’t really work my calfs anyway. I look forward to more on this subject!!!
    Toni @Runninglovingliving recently posted..What’s In My Gym Bag? featuring Rebekah from Bex LifeMy Profile

6. Vanessa February 17, 2012 at 10:54 pm #

great post and tips. I so need to do this stretches.
    Vanessa recently posted..Yay Free Swag Friday is Here! #FREE #SWAG #FREESWAGFRIDAY!My Profile

7. Hugh Walton February 18, 2012 at 6:20 am #

RecoFit compression is just introducing calf compression sleeves that combine compression with a simple and convenient icing protocol. So you get comrpession and ice in one easy package; two of the elements of R.I.C.E. You should check it out. Will be up on the web site next week.
    Hugh Walton recently posted..Hello world!My Profile

8. bex February 18, 2012 at 9:39 am #

shared on my fan page and twitter… I get this request all the time! xo
    bex recently posted..Our First Fart Egg!My Profile

9. Meredith @ DareYouTo February 19, 2012 at 6:02 am #

Ugh, YES, I have had them! Thanks for this much-needed advice!
    Meredith @ DareYouTo recently posted..Rest and RecoverMy Profile

10. Sherry February 23, 2012 at 5:40 pm #

Thank you for sharing some tips..
    Sherry recently posted..hojo motorMy Profile

11. madeleine vite February 29, 2012 at 3:52 pm #

YES, I have had them! Thanks for this advice

12. Liana@RunToMunch July 24, 2012 at 12:49 pm #

Great tip!

Also shoes are important! Make sure your shoes are in top shape. If you run outside vs. a treadmill your shoes will get worn down faster. I find that as soon as I outrun the life of mine I get shin splints, ITBS and all sort of badies until I suck it up and buy a new pair.
    Liana@RunToMunch recently posted..Dining at Girl & The GoatMy Profile

13. Cassie November 18, 2013 at 8:17 pm #

I have book marked this post. I am currently working through shin splints right now. I have always had very muscular/strong calf muscles so this makes perfect sense. Thank you so much for sharing this knowledge!!
    Cassie recently posted..No Stress Thanksgiving PrepMy Profile

• AlexandraFunFit November 18, 2013 at 8:44 pm #

Thanks for reading our post and letting us know that it’s helpful. We both have muscular, strong calves too, so get it!! There’s a link in the post to Part I if that’s helpful too. And if you have more questions, just let us know.
      AlexandraFunFit recently posted..Take a City Walking Tour: Exercise & History Together!My Profile

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Baby Steps: Where Do I Go From Here? « Nerd on the Verge - February 19, 2012

[…] then, I have avoided the gym and especially anything that might make my calves any stronger. (This helpful video revealed that for months I’ve pretty much been doing the exact opposite of preventing shin […]

2. Prevent Shin Splints: 3 Calf Stretches | Fun and Fit: with Fitness Pros & Identical Twins, Alexandra and Kymberly - December 6, 2012

[…] 3 More Ways to Prevent Shin Splints You shoulda been stretching instead of playing with that highlighter! […]

3. Facials, Feet and Fitness | It Matters How You Treat Your Feet and Skin | Fun and Fit: Baby Boomer Active Aging Advice from Fitness Experts - August 8, 2014

[…] 3 Tips for Preventing Shin Splints […]